As we were walking home from school the other day, Nathanael pulls something out of his pocket and begins talking. He is having quite the conversation...with himself! Then he says, "Oh, wait I got a text message." He then proceeds to check his message on his cell phone that he made from paper at school. I had to laugh. He has been bugging me about getting him a cell phone. Yes, an elementary school child wants a phone! He sees other children with them at school and wants to know why he can't have one. I always ask him, "Who are you going to call?" He will quickly rattle off a long list of family and friends. I follow that up with, "How are you going to pay for it?" He says he's "rich" because he has a piggy bank full of coins and he swears that there is enough to buy a phone. I then inform him that there are monthly charges that go along with that phone. He thinks that is outrageous! Our conversation always ends with me saying, "When you are old enough to help pay for a cell phone, then we'll think about it."(That's my way of putting it off for a few more years.) He usually follows up with something about me being a mean mommy. HA!!
The same day he pulled out his paper cell phone, he put little crumpled pieces of notebook paper in his ears and said that he was listening to his ipod. (He was on a roll that day!) I think this is his way of trying to get an ipod out of us for Christmas! (That is another item that he sees kids at school with and wonders why he doesn't have one yet.) One of his friends told me that when he wants something in the store, he'll beg his mom for it. If she says, "No" then he'll go to a more expensive item until she gives in and gets him the original item that he wanted. What a sneaky little guy. Nathanael has learned from his friends that persistence pays off. I wonder what else he is learning from friends!
On top of all of this, he is refusing to cut his hair. He wants to have hair like the "older" boys. You know, the shaggy in the eyes hair that seems so popular these days. I guess my little boy is growing up, or at least he thinks he is. I guess a car is next on his list! Oh, yeah... he has already requested a Jeep.
5 comments:
Oh, boy! I guess he is growing up. How can a parent compete with consumerism? I feel for you!
wow! He cracks me up. Its crazy that little kids really do have cell phones. Tell him I like his hair short :) (maybe that might help)
So Funny...Smart Kid...
C'mon, just get him a jeep. Then he'll have a way to carry around his cellphone and ipod=]
I agree with Nathanel, the monthly charges on cell phones ARE outrageous! Ha! He is so smart! Better watch out for him...
Post a Comment