Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Aunt Linda's Caramel Corn

This is just for you Amber... and any of our other family and friends who will enjoy this recipe. Nat's aunt is an awesome cook and always has delicious food that she makes when we visit. The caramel popcorn that she makes is one of our favorites. We always think of her when we make it. Now, you'll have to think of us and how much you miss us every time you make this caramel corn! Ha!! Enjoy!

Microwave Caramel Corn

1 large unused brown paper bag (from the grocery store)
3 bags of microwave popcorn popped with uncooked hulls removed

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup white corn syrup

1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp white vinegar

1/4 tsp baking soda

  1. If you haven't already, pop your popcorn, and remove hulls.
  2. Put popped corn in paper bag and set aside.
  3. In a microwave safe mixing bowl, heat butter and white corn syrup in microwave on high for 1 minute.
  4. Add brown sugar and stir until smooth.
  5. Add vanilla and white vinegar, stir, then microwave for 3 minutes.
  6. Add soda and stir at least 1 minute until foamy.
  7. Pour caramel syrup mixture on top of popcorn in the paper bag and stir with a large serving spoon until popcorn is coated. (It is very hot. Be careful!)
  8. Close bag and microwave on high for 1 minute.
  9. Take bag out of microwave and give it a good shaking for a few seconds.(Be sure to hold the top of the bag closed so that hot caramel corn doesn't come flying out.)
  10. Put bag back in microwave and microwave for 1 minute.
  11. Take bag out and shake it again.
  12. Put bag back in microwave and microwave for 1 more minute.
  13. Take bag out and shake it one last time.
  14. Pour onto wax paper or in a big bowl and let cool a bit before eating. (You'll have to break it up once it cools because it sticks together.)

5 comments:

Emily said...

Cameron!!!!!!!
I can't believe it! I was so excited to see your comment on my blog.

YOU HAVE A LITTLE GIRL!!!!!! oh. I'm so jealous. . . she's just darling.

Clayton still talks about Abby and Nathanael. the three amigos.

I'm so glad to have found you -
wish we lived closer. . .

Cameron said...

I forgot to add step #6 about what to do with the baking soda when I first posted the recipe. Hopefully, none of you rushed out to try it before I corrected it!

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

Yipppeeee!! This is THE BEST popcorn EVER!!! I know, I've OD on it many many times!! ;)

Amber Ayres said...

yeah!!! you're the best cameron!!! I'm gonna make some asap!

did I tell you Katherine Bishop was pregnant, well she had her baby girl Lola last week (but now she lives 2 hrs away in east texas) so when I go to visit her soon I'm gonna bring her some carmel corn! She's been buggin me to get the recipe cuz she's been cravin it!

Cameron said...

Give Katherine a big hug for me and tell her congratulations!